The pleasures of working with vintage telescope could be experienced when you choose the metallic alloy based products from the 18th and 19th century models. Apart from entertainment they offer you high aesthetics, good quality design and long lasting functionality features. They are recommended for hobby bird watching, travel, ocean exploration and other recreational activities. Some of the most commonly recommended models from them are in the list.
Overview of Specifications and Functions
In an era of the most advanced monocular, binocular and range finders you can still see a place for the vintage model telescopes. The specifications of the telescope can be defined with respect to its design, operational features and aesthetic features.
Design of the Pirate Telescope
- The material of the telescope is mostly aluminum, brass, copper and their alloys or high quality engineering grade plastic. The external body structure is in the tubular model with multiple tubes inserted into one another in order of decreasing diameter. All these tubes with smaller diameters are made to collapse ino the largest diameter tube.
- The optical part of the design includes the objective lens, series of relay lenses, field lens, an eye lens and the exit pupil. The lenses are optically aligned with each other along the optical axis of each lens.
- The main tube (also known as the barrel) is the outermost protective layer which is made waterproof and stress proof to give a long life. The diameter of the main and sub barrels vary according to the diameter of the lenses which are installed into the telescope.
- Installation of prisms is an added option which you can find in the models of the mid 19th century. Earlier to that there seemed to be no system of prism insertion. The most commonly used design of the prism is pentagon shaped model with a single roof surface and four reflecting surfaces aligned to each other in varying angles. Irregular shaped (heptagon or hexagon) prisms are also said to be used with a single roof surface and multiple reflecting surfaces.
- The inner part of the pirate telescope has many parts and accessories. One such part is said to be the raised key which is supposed to be located within the inner part of the core barrel, running parallel to it.
- The inner lenses are said to be held in their respective positions with individual notches which are attached to their rear ends. The alignment of these lenses with each other is said to be made in such a manner that the light entering from one of the main lens and reaching the exit pupil is free from astigmatism, an error in quality of the image.
Operational Features of the Pirate Telescope
- The main component of the operational part is said to be the lens. Most commonly used number of lenses is four (two relay lens and one eye lens) or five (three relay lens with one eye lens) in addition to one field lens.
- The aperture diameter of the lenses are said to be inversely proportional to the angular resolution. Reduction in diameter is directly proportional to the reduction of chromatic anomaly improvement of image quality.
- Object lens is the part through which reflected light from the target object enters the telescope. It passes through the relay lenses, prism and the field lens before entering the field lens and the exit pupil. Focal length of the lenses could be varied in order to eliminate the blurriness and bring in clarity by focusing the 7 colours (waves) of the split light.
- Magnification factor of the lens assembly is said to be closely related to the field view which is said to be variable from few hundred meters to more than one thousand meters. Most commonly used magnification is 8X and its multiples.
Aesthetic Features of the Pirate Telescope
- Most commonly used outermost barrel is made from brass. This is an alloy made from zinc and copper. Some other forms may also use bronze. They are said to be good for the purpose of decoration with multiple designs and dyed colours.
- You could also find finely carved wood being used as the outermost barrel covering. The inner overlapping barrels are usually coated with rustproof alloy. The end of each barrel is fitted with a brass ring in which the relay lenses are fitted with screws.
Applications of Pirate Telescope
You may use the pirate / navigation telescope for recreational purposes, bird and wildlife watching and during travel.
Recommended Product Reviews
- The device is said to be made of original aluminum alloy. The top layer of the barrel is said to be made from copper plating to give a vintage type of outlook.
- The magnification part provided by the lens assembly is said to be optimal for covering range of view field up to one thousand meters.
- The monocular has optimal contraction and extended lengths to match with the maximum view field.
- The lenses are made from the modern technologies to reduce aberration and controlled sets of achromatic and bi-convex low dispersion quality glass
- The outer most barrel is said to be made of light weight aluminum alloy and rustproof copper plating. The design of the inner barrels and the alignment of lenses in the optical axis are said to be of monocular quality. They are supposed to have the characteristics of reduced back reflection.
- The lenses are said to have no element of coating. Since the application areas are said to be mostly for recreational purposes there seems to be no scope for using rangefinder quality lens.
- This device is said to be made of high quality brass with leather cover for the handheld parts.
- According to the manufacturer the device is said to have optic lenses installed. This is said to be almost compatible with a basic monocular.
- The lenses are said to be highly back refection proof to provide high resolution image views from the exit pupil.
- The construction of the telescope body is said to be strengthened by the use of copper.
- Brass construction with rustproof coating is said to be the main feature of the telescope which is embedded with high quality optic grade lenses.
- This is supposed to be the basic version of a monocular with no features for night vision and rangefinder features.
- This device is said to be used as a toy for gaming purposes. There is no specification about the type of lens used hence it is assumed that optic class lens may not be used in this device.
- The device is said to be made from high quality unbreakable plastic material with concentric inner barrels which could be collapsed.
- This device is said to be highly useful for dramatics and games.
- This device is said to have no features for being used for outdoor applications of any type.
- This device is said to be made from high quality brass and rustproof coating of the alloy on all the barrels.
- The device is said to have night vision capability.
- The device is said to be embedded with optic class lenses for outdoor viewing applications. Hence the magnification feature is supposed to be of professional class.
- Features like blurriness elimination, focal length adjustments, enhanced image clarity and enhanced field view.
- The device is said to give sharp image with the help of high resolution object lens, combination of relay lens and the eyepiece.
- The device is said to have no option for prism embedding and night vision.
- This device is said to be the basic version of the navigation telescope with distance viewing capability.
- The barrels are said to be made with rustproof quality brass metal. The design of the device is said to be modeled on the vintage style.
- The device is said to be made molded in the classical design which might be useful for usage when you travel with family and friends for distance viewing.
- Since the device is said to be for basic outdoor viewing purposes only, there seems to be no added features that could make a high end navigation telescope or a monocular.
Since the list of devices is said to be mainly for recreational purposes, the purpose of usage is said to determine the one which might be recommended. However from the list of available features, it might be concluded that the device Handheld Brass Telescope VAKO Portable Spyglass Monocular Collapsible Pirate Telescope could be recommended.
- The device is said to be embedded with high quality optic grade lens with night vision feature.
- The magnification might not be of the high end, but when you see the aesthetic and functional scope of the others this is said to be good to be recommended.