Monocular with rangefinder feature and night vision options is considered to be highly effective for multipurpose applications like golfing, wildlife watching, hunting and a variety of activities related to long rage viewing and distance measurements. Some of the most commonly recommended products which could be useful for your selection are in the list.
· The principal parts of the device are said to be the object lens, receiving lens, LASER emitter, eyepiece and the protective body along with the battery and sockets. The effective ways in which they can be designed determine the efficiency of the rangefinder. For the most optimum design the three lenses are to be placed along the single line of assembly. This could be horizontal or vertical. The LASER emitting lens is preferably placed at the center so as to enable the reflected waves to be captured equally by the other two lenses.
· A goof monocular rangefinder has three distinct features related to optics, range finding and measuring and speed detection. The third feature is said to be responsible for the accurate detection and viewing of moving objects.
· The volume of light reflected by the target object determines its clarity of image in the eyepiece of the device. A good rangefinder is supposed to be capable of emitting LASER with a concentration level which covers all possible dimensional objects at short and long ranges.
· Normally the dark objects at long range distances are tough to be detected and viewed by the human eyes. The resolution of the rangefinder can help in overcoming this limitation. A good rangefinder is said to be capable of capturing the images of all such objects through effective mode selection. Ready to measure, continuous scan and data recall are some of the standard modes supported in general by many rangefinders of professional grade.
· Amplification of the optic system within the object lens and the receiving is said to be responsible for the targeting and viewing functions. This feature could be capable of enhancing the scanning of objects during low light time. This is also said to be responsible for the object magnification to the most optimum levels.
· Target Reflection capturing is an essential feature of the monocular rangefinder. Standard quality devices are said to be capable of capturing the least possible reflections under fading lights also. This feature is said to be enhanced by the combination of the lenses and the prism used in the rangefinder. When the light from the target object enters the receiver lens, it gets enhanced in strength depending on the quality of the device.
· Reduced light reflection is a feature which enables the device in absorbing the maximum possible light from the target objects. This could be enabled by painting the lens with a coat of non reflective material which is also highly transparent in nature. This helps in avoiding blurring of images and enhances their clarity for rangefinder and viewer parts of the device. You need to make sure that the light contrasting features of the device are kept at the lowest possible values in order to keep the light reflections near to zero levels.
· Object lens assembly design needs to be compatible for low dispersion and colour correction. This is an essential feature since the aperture size of the lens cannot be varying on either side far away from inter-papillary distance of the viewer (you). Moreover the aberration and other probable distortion factors also need to be reduced to the minimum possible levels.
· Reduction of errors in field curvature, coma, chromatic and spherical aberration are said to be enabled in a good monocular rangefinder by the alignment of lens with the prism and eyepiece. According to optics experts these features can be reduced from the system but not eliminated. Hence you need to select a monocular rangefinder device which has minimum possible error values.
Many users often complain that their device seems to be “not so perfect” in spite of spending time and money to search and buy what they think is the best. This could be due to the practical reasons that reduction of errors in the optical devices like the monocular rangefinder, it is possible to enhance the good qualities.
· Chromatic aberration is reduced by the selection of achromatic type of lens. This is said to be capable of bringing two or more colors from the incoming light into a single point of focus. Semi apochromatic types of lens which can also reduce the value of chromatic error to great extent.
· By reducing the coma error (poor quality), the quality of the rangefinder device can be automatically improved. This is said to be made possible by the combination of two opposite comas within the same lens with embedding. Keeping the field angle and the aperture of the lens at optimum levels is another way in which it is possible to increase the quality of the rangefinder device lens.
· The refracting surfaces within the lens and the prism can have their impact on the intensity of light passing through them. As the angle of refraction increases it is possible to increase the intensity of incoming light by the convergence of multiple focal planes into a single point. This is one way in which the quality of image for monocular as well as rangefinder functionalities of the device can be improved.
· Air transparency is a factor which can affect the image quality to a critical extent. Natural elements like fog, smoke, rain and other factors can reduce the transparency of air. This can be compensated by enhancing the strength of LASER emitting lens and absorption power of the receiving lens. Optic experts recommend the usage of DAK4 or Dk7 types of prism along with multiple coated lenses in order to increase the power of receiving lens and object lens.
· Software Installation in the device is one more way in which the reflected waves from the target object can be strengthened. This feature is said to be helpful in reducing the effect of natural elements like fog, smoke, rain and other factors. This is also said to be capable of solving the problems associated with focusing on large size objects in the shorter range and smaller size objects in the longer range.
· The device is said to have inbuilt features for increasing the quality of vision during day and night with the digital night vision feature. The added feature like digital compass is said to increase the intensity of incoming light and directional features.
· The device is said to be capable of measuring the pitch angle with reference to the roof of the lens. This feature is supposed to be helpful in detecting the angle of slope towards inclination as well as declination. According to manufacturers it is possible to vary this angle with the help of hardware adjustments in the wheel and software adjustments.
· Pressure and temperature measurement features of the device are said to be for controlling the all weather working conditions. The specifications given by the manufacturers state that by sensing the variation in these two factors, it might be possible for the auto control mechanism to calibrate the LASER beaming lens and receptor lenses for optimum image capturing and display.
· The stated optical amplification of the system by the manufacturers is said to be capable of enhancing the image clarity, regardless of the range of focus and size of the object.
· The device is said to have pin seeker technology built into it. This is supposed to increase the probability of flag point detection in the golfing sport.
· The pitching speed measuring tool of the device is said to be capable of capturing fast moving objects. This feature is said to be useful for wildlife watching as well.
· The multilayer coating in the object and receiving lens is supposed to give the capacity of absorbing maximum volume of reflected light from the target object. The contouring angles in the lens and the prisms are supposed to be responsible for maximum focus of reflected light at one focal point in the center of the receptors, increasing the clarity of vision.
· This device is said to be recommended for long range distance measurement and object finding purposes, which supposedly makes this device good for hunting and golfing.
· The inbuilt tools are said to be capable of switching the mode of the device between rangefinder and the normal ranger.
· The layout of lens and prism within the device is said to be efficiently designed to capture maximum incoming light with near zero back reflections from the lens areas.
· The device is said to be capable of measuring the angle heights accurately for both inclinations and declinations. This feature is supposed to make possible the detection of the ball and the pins due to its pin sensing ability, along with flag points.
· This device is said to be designed with complete glass based optical tools for supporting the lenses (LASER, object and receptor) and the prism. The BAK4 green prism is said to split the incoming light into its basic ingredients, making the image true colour in nature.
· The alignment of lenses, prism and the eyepiece is said to be designed for elimination of chromatic ad spherical aberrations. This is said to be made possible by the integration of linear and lateral incoming light into single point of focus.
· The eye cup of the device is said to be highly retractable in nature, making it suitable for viewing with or without eyeglasses.
· This device is said to be inbuilt with roof prism and highly optimized magnification features. According to the manufacturers, this combination might help in the elimination of errors in resolution quality, positioning, distortion and other types of optical aberrations.
· Reticle range of the device is said to be normalized for producing long and short range focusing with equal accuracy.
· Multi coating on the receptor and object lenses are said to make the lenses absorb maximum percentage of reflected light from the target objects without reverse reflections. This is said to be a feature which gives bright and compact images without blurring in fog, smoke and rain.
The LaserWorks LRNV009 Day and Night Multifunction Laser Ranging Night Vision Monocular is said to be the pick of the recommended devices. This could be due to the functionality of the system which is compatible with the other systems. In addition the device is said to have night vision support.
· In addition the device is said to have measurement tools for gauging temperature and pressure, which is said to be recommended for usage in all types of weather conditions.
· The device is said to be capable of being calibrated with software which supposedly gives extra customization options.
This page https://opticinfozone.com/optics/monocular/ has been created to review monoculars in general, so if you have not found what you were looking, please check it out.
Bird watching as a hobby and profession could be made highly successful when you use the right sort of monocular built with the latest design and operational technologies.
You could get accurate views, wide range of coverage, enhanced field of view; bright display and near zero errors. Some of the recommended products which might be useful to you in taking a decision to choose from could be from the list.
The technical features of the bird watching monocular could be categorized into sections related to the design, functionality, safety and ease of use. All of them get connected to produce the most optimum features you might need.
· The monocular design depends on the construction of the lens and the assembly of the prism. The accuracy of vision is ensured by the integration between objective lens, the prim assembly and eyepiece.
· Configuration of objective lens is said to be optimal when it can reduce the optical aberrations to near zero level. The typical monocular device will have a single lens with curved focal surface. Multiple wavelengths of light from the target object are brought into single focus. In this aspect the relation between aperture and focal length of the monocular is said to be important for clear vision.
· Coating on the lens can be in single or multiple layers. This is used for reducing the reflections from the surface of the lens. A coated lens can avoid reflections to the extent of 9.8%. Most of the standard monocular lenses are coated in the green and yellow part of the light’s wavelength.
According to optical experts this is the region where the human eye is most sensitive. Multilayered coating is said to be more effective as it absorbs all the reflections and gives better quality image to the monocular prism and the eyepiece.
· The proper design of the lens also helps in reducing the errors of various types when you go for bird watching. Common ones among them are distortion, aberration, coma and the field curvature.
· The quality of lens aperture can effectively reduce the volume of light loss around the target bird’s peripheral region. This is said to be quite common for all types of monocular lenses. This is done when the finishing of the lens is done during the manufacturing process.
· The isosceles prism is mounted at the center between lens and the eyepiece. The hypotenuse of the prism is exactly at right angle with the axis, making the image go through multiple reflections before being displayed in the eyepiece.
A good monocular is said to have inbuilt contrast adjusting features to make the clear image. The ability of the monocular to absorb maximum light from the surrounding of the target object and producing a clear image under varying environmental conditions is said to be the most recommended feature for bird watching.
· The standard monocular prism is of two basic two types namely the BAK4 and the BK7. BAK4 has relatively higher refractive index. This is said to result in a lesser critical angle.
This is designed to reduce the internal reflection losses to near zero. On the other hand BK7 type of prism is said to be preferable for night vision monocular when the light from the external sources is very dim.
· The monocular body of the standard devices is designed by keeping the position of the lens, prism and the eyepiece in view. The position of the eyepiece could be either to the side of the lens and prism assembly or on top. In some of the monocular types the eyepiece can also be mounted in line with the lens.
Make sure that “eye cup” covering the eyepiece makes your viewing comfortable. Lightweight body of the monocular is one factor which can ensure portability and flexibility of usage. Standard monocular devices are made from reinforced lightweight polymers that can provide high level of tensile strength and heat resisting capacity.
You need to pay special attention to these two factors while selecting the monocular.
· The device is said to be equipped with a standard replaceable 50-mm lens is said to provide magnification factors which are recommended for hobby and professional bird watchers.
· The device is said to be supported by a multipurpose tripod whose legs. According to the manufacturers this sort of design could be useful for all types of planar and rugged surfaces.
· The device is said to have a water and rainproof external shield. Manufacturers state that the internal architecture is designed for eliminating the probability of fogging also.
· The adjustable rim on the outer surface of the eye piece is said to be useful for varying the angle of viewing and the distance between the prism and the prism eyepiece. This is said to be useful for increasing the clarity of the bird images, depending the distance between your standing position and the bird location.
· Focus wheels of the device are said to be variable in angle and focal length. By adjusting these values, you are said to be capable of rotating the angle of view from 0 degrees to 90 degree. With this sort of viewing you might be able to watch birds on horizontal and vertical planes of the tree, including reverse hanging birds like the bats.
· The device is said to have a single hand focus wheel that might make it easy to change the length and angle while viewing the birds.
· The eye cups are said to be adjustable in nature which might make it comfortable for watching with the eyeglasses.
· The manufacturers state that the optical structure of the lens and the prism is designed to absorb the reflections and fine tune the image into the eyepiece. This is said to be one of the features which reportedly enhances the image clarity. When the birds are on water bodies like lakes and rivers, the volume of light reflected from water could cause blurring of the bird’s image. This oddness is said to be eliminated to the maximum extent by the design of the lens and prism.
· The device is said to be Water and fog proof which is supposed to work in all types of weather conditions. According to the manufacturers you could use this device during winter and rainy seasons also without any major deviation in the quality of images.
· The device is said to be supported by an optimized reticle which is supposed to be good for measurement of angular focus. According to manufacturers this feature might support distance measurement of the target object from your current location. According to optical technologists this is recommended when the target size is relatively smaller and the focus range is long.
· The device is said to have a good field of view which could be optimized for long and short distances. The coverage are of the object is also said to be variable. According to manufacturers this helps in focusing on larger objects that are in the closer range and smaller objects which in the longer range.
· The relative motion of the object lens is said to be with the optical prism. When you in change the focal length to cover small size objects, the passing of light from the lens through the prism is said to be optimally controlled for reducing the reflections of light coming from the exteriors of the object body. This is supposed to give sharper images.
· The relation between fast focusing and close focusing is said to be relatively accurate with this device. The manufacturers state that this is made possible by the spotting scopes compatibility between angular and linear focus.
· The device is said to have good optical resolution features which are compatible for long distance bird watching. The manufacturers state that the focal length of the object lens can be varied dynamically in order to switch between long and short distance views.
· The device said to be good for moving and flying birds also. According to the manufacturers this feature is enabled by the continuous image capturing speed of the lens. The transmission of image through the prism into the eyepiece is said to happen in real time with reported near zero delay. You might be able to get a clearer glimpse of the flying bird.
· The angle of refraction in the installed prism is said to be variable in nature. The manufacturers state that with this feature it is possible to get a clear image of the birds when they are behind obstacles like leaves.
· The lens of the device is said to be coated to reduce the volume of reflections considerably. Moreover the manufacturers state that you might be able to differentiate between the color of the bids and their background settings like green leaves, branch colors and other objects. This might enable you to analyze the birds’ features by talking a relatively enhanced closer look at them.
· The device is said to be made with high end precision optic lens supported by the BAK4 type of green prism. According to manufacturers, this combination is supposed to give a higher value of refractive index with sharp focus capability. The glass used in the prism is said to be highly accurate in dispersing the light into its constituent basic colours, giving you the original colour display of the target object without any distortion.
· The coating on the lens is supposed to eliminate the light reflections to a considerable extent. According to the manufacturers this is in conformation to the standards which govern the quality of optical devices used for bird watching.
· The varying focal length of the lens is said to be streamlined with the focal surface and the plane. This could alter the horizontal distances between the center of focus and the point where the light falls on the lens. The angle of curvature of the lens is said to be designed in line with the prism in such a manner that all the light could get focused onto a single point. This is stated to be a plus point which might eliminate the error in quality of the image.
· The multicoated lens is said to be efficient in removing the anomaly of reflective surfaces, making it absorb maximum light from the target object.
Having seen the basic and advanced features of the products, the recommended one seems to be the Authentic-ROXANT-Grip-Scope-Retractable Monocular.
· Chromatic aberration is said to be very low. This is relevant to horizontal and lateral aberrations. According to optics experts this feature could be helpful in getting high resolution images in all possible weather conditions and terrains.
· The device is said to have maximum number of glass made components built into it. This feature is said to be good for optic sensitive tasks like bird viewing. This is because of the distance of focus, image clarity, anti reflection, anti aberration and optimization of angular views are said to be synchronized by the device.